Thursday, May 23, 2013

Having fun tuning your guitar to a piano



Tuning your guitar to a piano is a pretty simple thing to do. A piano is a great tool because piano holds it pitch so well. Unlike guitars, a piano only needs to be tuned once or twice in a year.


Before tuning to a piano, just make sure that it is also in tune. We have a good-old piano at home which was built in 1890. When I was growing up, i didn't remember anyone playing with it. I wondered why and asked my mom about it. She told me that it has already been more than 25 years since it was tuned.

When my sister got a job, she hired a professional piano tuner. It took about two days before he finished tuning all the strings inside. After the piano was tuned, I frequently used it as a reference to tune my guitar. But, after two years, we noticed that it started to go out of tune and I never used it again since then.

If you don't have a piano around, you can also do this with an electronic keyboard.



Here's how to do it:

  1. Match the open strings of the guitar to the corresponding keys on the piano/keyboard. (refer to the diagram)
  2. Adjust the tuning of the strings until it matches the pitch of the piano/keyboard.
  3. Repeat the same process for the strings.


TIP: After getting one string in tune, you can use it as a reference to tune other strings following the relative tuning method.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...